Skip to main content

I benefited from Apartheid


I am white. My friend @cobusvw was one of the first people to help me embrace being white with all the baggage that goes along with. I am also a racist. It is the bane of my life here in Africa. Growing up in the 80’s in South-Africa have shaped me in a certain way. My inherent racism is something I struggle with everyday. Don’t get me wrong, I try very hard not to be one. My other white buddy @soulgardeners introduced met to Jonathan Jansen’s work describing my racism as almost inherited through blood. Together we started to talk about our struggle with racism in the same way addicts would talk about their addiction.  I am a recovering umlungu, addicted to feeling superior. I am born into a history of racism. Years of prejudice have framed a narrative through which I perceive others that are different from me and my culture. 

I am proud to say that most of the time, with the help and patience of kind, supportive and forgiving black (and white) friends I have my addiction under control. 

So when my fellow bearded white brothers from Cape Town came up with a t-shirt saying “I benefited from apartheid” it immediately got my attention.


My addiction kicked in and an array of mixed emotions troubled me since I placed my order for one medium size shirt. It turned out to be a very small medium. Those souties from the colony clearly did not have an Afrikaner stomach in mind when they designed the shirts, which is ironic in itself.

Yesterday I walked around the mother city wearing my confession on my heart. I felt like shit, unable to not be conscious of this complicated historical truth written in white on black broadly on my sagging man breasts. I benefited from a system that killed millions of people’s hopes and dreams. Did I mention shit? 

Two strange things accompanied this overall sense of guilt. One being the fact that people treated me like a hero for wearing it, as if the truth written on it isn’t obvious enough, especially when strolling about the old colony. I guess, though long over due, seeing a white guy confession his Apartheid guilt out in public is a welcome relieve to the more common pessimistic-get-out-while-can-white-rhetoric we hear most of the time.

The other funny thing was the fact that I kept on wondering whether whites are the only ones that benefited from apartheid. I can honestly say that I have never humoured this thought in the past. Surely I have heard the question a lot of time, although with a different answer than the one I am going to close my article off with. I have heard numerous times about the great educational system and the superior infrastructure of the old regime. My response always to those answers was that it still only benefited the whites. After wearing my confession out in the public I have come to a different conclusion about who else benefited from apartheid.

But first a list. I hate lists, never seem to finish them or remember where I left them. But still, a list is needed. A young black guy who works as a barista at the Cape Town bakery Jason’s asked me how I benefited. Sitting behind my Apple Mac trying to write this article, I  quickly mumbled a few privileges I enjoy as a white South-African. He looked at me and answered: “I feel you man.” Not really what I expected, but somehow I needed to hear it. 

Here follows a list of how I benefited from apartheid:

I can swim in the sea. 
White kids grew up in neighbourhoods with swimming pools. Our parents took us for swimming lessons. The swimming pools were kept clean by the parents of black children. Apart from young white parents’ dreams of giving the world the gift of Ryk Neethling, all these swimming in the pools during hot summer suburban weekends had one thing in common: Getting white children sea swim ready for December holidays in places like Hartenbos. The end result being that most of us can swim with confidence in the deep dark waters of the sea. Some of us can go in really deep, way behind the waves where the sharks hang out. We are not a afraid of the mighty ocean.  We came with it on boats and it seems we are dead set on swimming back to our native shores. Which brings me to my next point.

I have been on holiday to all the provinces of our country, as well as to some of our neighbouring countries. 
Some of my black Gauteng friends have never been to Cape Town. Which is troublesome when talking politics and trying to use Helen Zille as an example of a good leader.  Some of my friends have never been to the sea, or hiked in the mountains (for fun). A friend recently asked me about camping in the Drakensberg, he wanted to know what do you do when you camp out in the mountains, I answered sheepishly that we cook food in small pots on the open fires, shit in the bushes and bath in cold water. He looked at me as if I was explaining life in ekhasi to him. I had to respond by explaining that when you grow up with a whole range privileges and luxuries, the romance of suffering in the bush veld serves as way of feeling human again. Life in the suburbs tend to keep nature out, that is why when whites go on holiday they try to spend a lot of time in nature. This brings me to a deeper truth, white people have a deep sense of the beauty of South-Africa’s wildlife. Look at the literature and the songs of older Afrikaans traditions, a lot has to do with the veld, the mountains and the sea. I grew up with a religious understanding that God gave us this land because we are His chosen people. (really, I was taught this in Sunday School). Whites lived with a deep sense of ownership about these beautiful places, while black people could only look, but were not aloud to touch. What my teacher failed to mention during those hot summer Sunday mornings was that what once was theirs we took away with metal and gun powder, forced them to live in shanty towns, while we built European style mansions overlooking the best parts of the land.

I can play Scrabble and 30 Seconds very well. 
During these holidays, when unexpected rains forced everyone inside, white families played boardgames. Although these activities have nothing to do with the apartheid legacy, the sheer amount of quality family time in fact does. The old government together with the help of the church enforced the whole idea of a traditional family. The social systems were in place to help white families stay together, whereas with black families the legacy of migrant workers is well known. Black mothers spent more time helping white mothers raising children like myself, than they could raising their own children.

I don't have to use public transport. 
Not that there is anything wrong with public transport. Who am I kidding? Having your own car is awesome. I was able to drive a car at the age of nine. By the age of 30 I already owned 4 cars. I currently own an old Land Rover Defender, a Big Boy scooter and a mountain bike. My cars and bikes have helped me to explore and discover our country bests. I was able to take ownership of my daily routine. I can look down on people in taxis, I don't have to stand in queues waiting for a bus. I don't have to walk far to my destination. I am empowered. Pun intended. 

I did however started to use the Johannesburg taxi routes about a year ago. Not because of car problems, but again through my good friend @soulgardeners who feel it is important for white people to experience the way the rest of Mzanzi have to travel. When I then use the taxi I am treated as a pioneer of some sort. I can tweet about my experiences as a white guy on the taxi. I can drop it casually in pretentious liberal left conversations to great political effect. I am frequently asked by fellow whites “Aren't you scared?” My church friends labelled me as “missional”, while my black friends think “Shame, he must be one of those dumb whites who did not make enough money in the old South-Africa”.
              
I never had had to use an open air latrine, except when on holiday in some of our provinces. Did I say shit?

I own property in the good part of town. 
When our parents’ parents planned the towns and cities we now live in, they made sure that white families get the best of what that town or city had to offer. We were spoiled with stunning play parks and schools with great facilities. We prayed in big and beautiful churches, recovered in hospital rooms with a view, parked our cars on tar roads and built our homes in neighbourhoods with sufficient water, sewage and electricity systems in place. The mortgage value of these properties were far more superior than the ones on the other side or the railway tracks, as were the salaries our parents earned. Which brings me to my next point.  

I earn R30 000 a month (before taxes).
I earn this salary apart from the fact that I am bad in maths, science and accounting. I did not study very hard during or after school. I only got one A in matric (Afrikaans). Even though I did not study that hard or did that well, my overall high school education was of such a good standard that it gave me a chance to apply for bursaries and other funding that helped me to study at the university of my choice. 

I should also point out that I am a Dutch Reformed minister with less than 10 years of work experience. I don’t have to elaborate on my church’s role in the history of our country. According to mywage.co.za my gross income is double the amount the average clergy in South-Africa earns. My salary puts me globally amongst the wealthiest in the world. Just this fact alone makes wearing the “I benefit from Apartheid” so much more important. I should actually wear it the next time I conduct a sermon. In my case it is more than just coming clean about my past, wearing this t-shirt and making this list is a deeply religious confession that I as a rich follower of Jesus have to do. I am seriously considering to stop praying certain parts of the “Our Father”, especially the part of “my daily bread”. I have plenty of bread, it is the forgiveness of sins and my involvement in evil that I am worried about. On the back of the shirt should be written: “...and I need forgiveness” 

My salary only supports myself. 
I feel I have to mention this as a separate benefit from yonder years. In my white context, my salary is mine and mine alone. My parents helped me until I landed my first paycheque, from there onwards I had to manage on my own. When my salary show in my account at the end of the month, there are no other family members, distant relatives, pregnant sisters or unemployed younger brothers whom I have to share my earnings with. I am thus free to spend my money as I please. This gives me an inside track in becoming even more wealthy. I have money to invest, to save and to pay off home loans. I don't have to buy stuff on credit, but when I do need credit the banks a very eager to lend me money. 

I don’t know poverty.  
I have never in my life went to bed hungry. My appetite for good food are met on a daily basis. I eat for the enjoyment of food and not so much because I will die if I don't eat. This is true for all my friends and family members. I have no family members that have died of HIV/AIDS. When someone in my family gets ill, we are guaranteed that good doctors and nurses will do their best to cure the illness. All my family members are doing the jobs they studied for or at least are passionate about. I have, except for the odd holiday in some of the provinces of our country, up until now never experienced problems with dirty drinking water. Once and again we have to light a candle due to load shedding, but all in all my life is one filled with comfort and safety. In fact, all my life getting water or cooking food was just a turn of the wrist and a push of a button away. As I mentioned earlier, we only lived in the good parts of town.


Life has given me a lot of chances to make a success of myself. 
At 31 I have a deep sense up luck and grace about my life. Key moments in my life could have gone either way. That I did not end up living on the streets has a lot to do with my parents, friends, school, church and a little of my own doing. I have a great job, married to a stunning person, live in a big house, drive my own car and eat good, healthy food everyday. My opinions matter to a bigger audience. I have a lot freedom to come and go as I please. It is my choices that will determine the biggest part of how my future will pan out. Now to attribute this life only to being white or due to the legacy of Apartheid would be narrow minded and foolish. But if I go by the overwhelming gap between rich and poor in our country and the fact that I belong to the dominant group falling in the rich category, I cannot help but to keep Apartheid’s beneficiary factor in my life in mind every time I swipe my platinum ABSA credit card. I grew up with network of support and system of rewards based on the colour of my skin. Although I was a young child in the late stages of the apartheid era, I am still picking the spoils of generations of social and economic systems intentionally benefiting those with European decent. 

I have an inherent self belief. 
This is the biggest benefit I enjoy from years of propaganda about white being better than black. I know it is not true, but as I wrote at the start of the article this view about myself is in my blood. When I walk into a room I don’t doubt myself. When I think of my future I look at it with a sense of joyful anticipation. I live with a overall feeling of competence and intelligence (even though my Maths teacher will disagree). I feel I have something valuable to offer to others. This is not the case for millions of unemployed and unskilled young people of the same age as me. Biko wrote extensively about the inferiority that black people struggle with, especially when engaging with Western white world values and social systems. Thanx to P.W. Botha and company, I don’t know how this feel.

This list, although not nearly the entire story of my life of comfort have compelled me the last year or so to be intentionally involved in actions and programmes that not only help me recover from the evil I have done onto others through my shared history of violence and racism, but to actively help restore the imbalance there is in our society between black and white. The biggest part of my free time is spent in the inner city of Johannesburg creating new and better learning spaces for young black school going learners. It is there where I learn about what being African is all about. I am proud to say, that even though I struggle with inherited racism and am a beneficiary of apartheid, I am also an African. In my family I am the twelfth generation born on this continent. When the shit hits the fan I too have nowhere else to go. 

Back to being a racist. These closing paragraphs are probably the old foe in me rebelling against the shame of wearing this shirt. Feel free to deal me the race card if you like. As I mentioned earlier, while wearing it I kept wondering who else, apart from whites benefited from apartheid. I really chew on this question, trying hard to not go the route of those reminiscing about the past as if the old NP knew how to run a country that benefited everyone.

I’ve been reading Adriaan Basson’s book on Zuma. The word “cadre” and “struggle hero” feature frequently, especially when some political reason was given why so and so could not be charged, arrested and put on trial. The list of criminal activities and incompetent leadership decisions hanging over our current leaders are endless. When the public starts to ask tough questions about these people we are met with a “hands off our leaders” answer. The reason being they fought hard for our freedom, they are our heroes, they are the untouchable ones. 

Sounds familiar? A bit like South-Africa in the post war era when the new National Party started to rebuild a nation living in the shame after the Boer War and the following depression years. We gave people like Malan and Verwoerd the same untouchable status. They were our heroes against our struggle under British domination. Those men with their black hats benefited from a nations shame due to a century of British rule. When the volk dared to ask questions, the ruling party would respond by saying: “Hands off our leaders”. 

For as long there are open, untreated wounds about the sad history of white oppression, people will look at struggle heroes like Zuma, Shaik and Motshekga with a sense of awe and wonder. We will make them above the law of the land. As leaders they will not be judge for their corrupt leadership in the new democratic era, but rather for their immortal legacy under the apartheid era. They will play the same role as the old white leaders at the start of the apartheid story. 

If leaders get away with serious government failures like textbooks not being delivered to schools on time, if the ruling party keeps up the liberation rhetoric of old, if political favours are given to modern day criminals in the name of our hard fought freedom, if the ANC  keeps on playing into our wounds in order to avoid true accountability, if this keeps up eventually whites won’t be the only one’s wearing t-shirts confession Apartheid guilt. 

We need healing for our wounds.

Comments

CS Rally Team said…
Shoe dis vir my 'n moeilike stuk die. Ek wil so graag nie 'n rasis wees nie. Ek fail daagkiks :-(
Anonymous said…
Ek verstaan daar is dinge wat nie reg was nie en ook nie reg is nie.
maar asb om die ontwil van al my liberale vriende wat in skole skool gegaan het waar geskiedenis nie geleer was en of is nie, wil jy leraar van menigte nie asb net eers bietjie lees voor jy goed verwoord wat nie waar is nie. sien my liberale vriende dink dat als wat ander liberaliste se moet waar wees..
sonder om miljoene woorde te verkwis die volgende:
-in 1975 was die matriek slaagsyfer onder nie blankes die hoogste in die geskiedenis. wonder wie was verantwoordelik vir die sg "bantoe" onderwys. noodeloos om te se dat in '76 was daar opstand. ook interssant om te let dat moedertaal onderwys die standaard was, iets wat nou eers weer op die voorgrond is.
-toe van Riebeeck 'n swendeklaar sy voet aan wal kom sit het aan die suid punt van die kontinent was hy nie alleen nie. daar was koi-san/ boesman, ek weet hulle is nie dieselfde nie maar jy kry die idee. so eintlik behoort die hele land aan die stam groep/rasse groep. ons reg op SA is presies dieselfde as enige "bantoe" groep/stam, geen. ons is beide vlugtelinge gewees, die "bantoe" stamme van vervolging deur sterker groepe en die blankes oor geloof en vervolging van die gereg.
-apartheid is deur die britte begin en deur die geloofsvaders van die land voortgedra, nie reg nie ek stem.
-rassisme was nog altyd daar (van adam se tyd) en om te dink dit sal nooit wees nie is dieselfde as om te dink dat armoede uitgewis kan word, dat leuns uitgewis kan word. ons het ingebore rassisme en dis dit, werk aan dit, ja dit word van ons verwag om ons eie mens vir die kruis neerte le maar nie vir die masse nie.
Sosialisme is die beweeg rigting vir die meeste liberaliste en dit maak self dood (nie vir Christus nie), dit maak eie denke dood. niemand staan op teen die aanvaarde "airy fairy" van vandag nie, want dis teen die "establishment"
-asb om die goeie orde van alles te handhaaf, as jy 31 is beteken dit jy is gebore in-1981 se kant. so toe ons eerste demokratiese president verkies is in 1994 was jy so 13. met die aanname dat jou ouers jou naief grootgemaak het wil ek asb weet hoe jy geweet het van apartheid?
jou indruk van die stelsel is in jou geindoktrineer van na 1994 deur die skool.

ek voel dat dit nie reg is om mense te vertel van dinge wat jy nie weet nie. lees bietjie boeke wat geskryf is deur mense wat daar was, aan die anderkant van die lyn gestaan het
maak seker jy weet van die geskiedenis van jou land van vroeg af. bevraagteken hoekom mense goed gedoen het en wat jy sou doen? moenie vertel word wat om te doen nie.
Liefde is die grootste! kom oor die ekskuus mnr ek was verkeerd vir die 100ste keer. beide was verkeerd en is steeds verkeerd. die verlede is verby. vandag is hier en ons moet werk vir more.
saam werk. besef ons is hier as "vlugtelinge" en niemand het reg tot iets bo 'n ander nie. en ek kan nie op jou rug le en teer soos jy nie op myne kan doen nie.






Anonymous said…
Racism is learned and anything that is learned can be unlearned.I wish I could say that racism and prejudice were only distant memories. We must dissent from the indifference. We must dissent from the apathy. We must dissent from the fear, the hatred and the mistrust…We must dissent because South Africa can do better, because South Africa has no choice but to do better.
Unknown said…
Ek kan verstaan hoekom anonymous, anonymous skryf en slim wil wees, agter 'n masker.

Baie braaf van jou Fourie, baie braaf!
Anonymous said…
EK stem saam met Anonymous.
Anonymous said…
Jy se armoede en agterstand ontstaan onder sekere bevolkingsgroepe in ons land as gevolg van Apartheid. Wat sou jy dan se oor die armoede onder blankes? Daar is dan blanke Afrikaanse gesinne wat nie platinum bankkaarte kan gebruik nie.
Ek weet nie of jy moet skuldig of verantwoordelik voel vir socio-ekonomiese toestande van die land nie.
Elaine Bing said…
Very good to see. And true of most of us - by the fact of our very whiteness we were given opportunities that other people were not. Whether we used them or not, is not the issue - they were there.
Anonymous said…
Seeing a white person speak so open about this does something to one’s soul. I have to say that most white didn’t even realize the small important things they benefited from that ERA, like you mentioned about the self confidence, sense of importance, growing in a proper family to build you to be the best person you can be and all that. Most look at affirmative action as a form discrimination to whites but I tell you, it was a good initiative for us as black people to also claim our confidence back but I have to admit, we(black people) also have to take some blame for our laziness and expecting the government to do everything for us.

I’m 26 years old and earn round about the same salary as you..Well I was good at Maths and Accounting at school but I tell you now if they put us in a room together to compete I’d probably be intimidated as hell because you are white..I guess it’s also in our blood to feel inferior to whites. At the end of the day parents (black or white) will do what they have to do to secure a better future for their children so you were lucky to be born on the right side of the sun and all turn out ok you.

It’s good to see white people acknowledge the mistakes of the past and admitting to having an unfair advantage but I have to say it really bugs me to see us(black people) making excuses for ourselves and sitting back waiting for things to happen, and when they do happen we make really stupid decisions e.g Black guy grows up in poverty, his mother = domestic worker, his father = Unknown..black guy gets an opportunity to go to University through NSFAS(you probably do not know this..National Student Financial Aid Scheme) graduates at varsity, with the assistance of affirmative action gets a job and earns well..now instead of black guy sending his siblings to school and empower his family with education, he rents a townhouse owned by a white person and buys an Audi S3 which takes most of his salary and every weekend, he’s at Newscafe drinking single malts. Of course not all black people are like that but we are notorious for our lavish lifestyles, I guess in a way this stems from not having the proper family structures and family time to get the proper guidance unlike many white kids. As for your racism..those of us who experienced a hint of apartheid will always be racist, the feeling of white people being Superior and black people being inferior will always be with us. I just taught myself how to swim at gym and I swim almost every day at a gym in centurion where you’ll find most white people. Every time the facility is full, I have noticed how some of them would stand over my lane ready to jump is as if to tell me my time is up, and then my “post-apartheid black arrogance” kicks in and I swim like my life depended on it even though I’m tired as hell but the fact that they expect me to be the one that gets for them really gets to me..maybe I’m just being paranoid and my insecurities are making me see things that are not there, but I’m afraid I will live with the insecurities for a long time..my daughter is 6 and goes to a private school mixed with all races and her confidence in herself is really inspiring, at least I’ll die leaving something for the generations to come.

I would offer to help with the kids u dealing with but I’m afraid I also have other family members I need to assist first with the schooling, maybe the third generation from me will have it easy and also spend their salaries on themselves…that’s if the government hasn’t stops screwing up. I feel you on the ANC benefiting from apartheid, I hate the fact that they have become so arrogant they just do it in front of everyone because they are the “untouchables”..fortunately I have been to Cape Town and I have been doing research on the DA as I intend on switching sides..This ANC is not the ANC that filled me with pride as black child that if you work hard and stay focused, you will reap the rewards..They are benefiting from apartheid while the damage continues to be severe..one day is one day!!
Anonymous said…
Ek hou van die manier waarop jy jou huidige gebroke-werklikheid gebruik om sin te maak van baie kwessies. Ek voel jy bedink egter die apartheid kwessie oorvereenvoudig, want jou argumente is lyk na iets op ‘n mikrovlak wat die groter prentjie totaal misken. Om sinvol oor apartheid te dink moet mens tog ook kyk uit ‘n volkunde hoek. As mens vraagstukke aanspreek, soos: wat is wit/ Europeërs se plek in Afrika? Het ons nie maar dieselfde behoeftes en drome soos Europeërs nie. Terwyl Afrika ʼn bloedige geskiedenis het van optrede jeens blankes het. Ek weet ek sal die eerste een wees wat sê ek verstaan nie hoe werk uitverkiesing en laat mens deel is van ʼn taal groep, geslag, ouderdom, of volk nie
Anonymous said…
I would have liked to publish a comment, but after a couple of hours of thought and typing, I am informed that my post is too long. Tough. Stop feeling guilty. Apartheid was the culmination of events that took place in the 20th century and you could no more prevent it than you could stop a hurricane by telling it it's naughty. Yes, our parents made sure we benefited from apartheid, but is not the current regime not looting the Treasury to benefit their own? And do they not incite violence against whites in order to cover up their lack of duty to their own electorate? was the victory of De Klerk in the 1992 referendum not a cause for pride, a display of courage and willingness to sacrifice by a group of people who stood to lose everything? Has anyone thanked us for that? Who needs to hang their heads in shame for failing those to whom they are most indebted, other than the ruling party itself?
regards, Christine.
Anonymous said…
I just have a small piece to say

I myself was born in 92, 2 yearstribefore the Apartheid officially ended so I can honestly say that I have NO IDEA what people experienced during the Apartheid, So I don't fully understand what some people from the older generation are talking about.

But I must say this, the new generation, The True Rainbow nation (my generation) shouldn't suffer for what happened in the past, e.g. school books not being delivered on time, PATHETIC water sources in a lot of areas, the list can go on.

The point I'm trying to make is that if the "older generation" still has the old mind set, then the older generation Should take it out on each other and sort their problems/differences out, when did reasonable thinking become such a difficult task to perform?

And yes Helen Zille is the best example for a leader for the NEW SOUTH AFRICA, reason is because she didn't find it difficult to just move forward.

And this whole classification system is another thing that is EXTREMELY offensive and racist, Yes I have German blood but that doesnt make me a European.... I was born in Africa...I was raised in Africa... And my body will rest in Africa... And I am proud to say that I am an African
Anonymous said…
Jou hele storie is bietjie naief, dink ek. Ek verstaan dat jy dit uit jou eie lewens- en wêreldbeskouing aanvoor. Soos van die ander mense opgemerk het, is dit belangrik dat mens eers die geskiedenis behoorlik en indringend moet bestudeer en verstaan, voordat mens sulke uitlatings maak.

My groot vraag is egter; hoekom so 'n t-hemp koop? Wat is jou motivering behalwe om reaksies daarop te toets en bietjie jammer vir jouself te wees?

Dis glad nie oulik om jou salaris so uit te lap nie.

Sommige van ons het nog met 'n buite toilet groot geword en dit het nie 'n vaal kol aan ons gemaak nie.

As jy net reaksie gesoek het, het jy dit gekry.
Anonymous said…
Ek lees hierdie post eers baie maande nadat dit geskryf is en ook die kommentaar van verskeie mense.
Ek het beslis nie meer voordeel uit apartheid gekry as enige iemand anders nie. Ek het aan die "verkeerde" kant van die spoorlyn groot geword, my pa is dood toe ek 13/14jaar oud is.
Ek was nie in die NG kerk nie (ook geen kans op broederbond konneksies nie) en daar is op ons neergesien deur hierdie groot apartheid beweging. Ons het wel voordeel getrek om na 'n dubbelmedium skool te gaan, onreg te erken en respek vir almal te gee.
Dat ons genesing nodig het, is 'n voldonge feit, maar gaan dit oor apartheid of rassisme? Wat is rassime in elk geval? Is dit kleur, kultuur of finansiele stabiliteit?
Tersiere opleiding vir my was gemengd. Vroee '70's en Swart, Indier Kleurling en blanke in dieselfde klas. Admittedly meer blankes en verhoudings (ratios) "gesond"

Sien ek myself as 'n slagoffer van hierdie bedeling - beslis nee.
Ek lees graag Jonathan Janssen se boeke en artikels. EK dink hy is reg oor opvoeding - dat rassisme in ons bloed is - NEE!!!
Ons moet net ophou om te probeer bewys wie reg is -
Aanvaar jou gene en weet dat jy 'n gesonde verstand het om te kies en 'n hart het wat hoor en sien wat nie gese of gewys word nie.
Dit gaan nie oor high 5 "eks weer reg" nie.
Ek dink jy is great, Fourie, en jy laat 'n mens baie dink en dit is nodig dat ons sien wat jongmense ervaar.
Dit gee 'n mens ook baie hoop want jy is beslis 'n skakel in die groot divide.
Ek dink die verbrokkeling van veral swart gesinne het 'n groot sosiale probleem gelos en ek dink
dit sprei uit in alle rigtings.
Dat daar baie werk in hierdie land is, is 'n feit.
Sien ons dit raak?
So ek stem saam met 'n ander naamlose - liefde is die grootste.
Ek glo liefde het beginsels; soos wiskunde en enige wetenskap en dat ons dit in diepte moet bestudeer sodat ons dit kan toepas.
Dink net hoe anders alles kan wees.
Ek gaan ook maar'n lafaard wees en nie my naam skryf nie.
Ek glo ons is bevoorreg omdat ons bevoorreg is en saam met voorregte is daar reuse verantwoordelikhede.
In armoede kan 'n mens nog steeds bevoorreg wees, selfs in verdrukking - as iemand jou lief het, is jy bevoorreg.
Iewers in elkeen se gene is daar 'n bietjie liefde - selfs net daar in die begin in die chromosome is dit vasgele.
Dus dink ek dat deur hierdie post het jy baie gegroei, ander mense ook en dat ons almal redelik vinnig gereageer het op die post.
Jy het verwagte reaksie gekry en ek dink nie altyd wel deurdenk nie - nogtans dankie vir die stroom van gedagtes wat jy wakker maak.
Unknown said…
For any blogger it is always great to write something that gets a debate going. Thanx for all the comments. Allow me to respond in a few words:

1. The t-shirt was big let down, not because of the content on it, but rather the quality of the shirt. I got to wear it only once, after the first ways, it turned into spandex. Eish.

2. It is troubling to see that so many white SA's struggle to confess to this very simple truth, we did benefit and we still live in the momentum of this advantage. There is no other way to say it.

3. This does not mean that I grovel in guilt. On the contrary, I am proactively involved in initiatives that I believe will help bridge the gap, restore broken relationships and help build a better society.

5. At the end of the article I tried to make the point that not only whites are benefiting from the past. Blacks who use the apartheid wound / or struggle credentials as way to manipulate and get away with crime are becoming the new beneficiaries of apartheid.

6. A few comments were made about the article being naive. I have to agree with that, a lot of the content is tongue in the cheek and not academically correct. It is opinion based and my opinions are seldom 100% spot on. Also to wear a t-shirt like this in public you have to be bit naive about the world.

7. Someone made a remark on me being honest about my salary. I find it very funny that people are secretive about what they earn.

8. Someone remarked that due to my age, I am not in a position to talk about apartheid. I wonder if this person is a Christian that shares his faith in Jesus's death and resurrection to others. 2000 years ago. Being 13 in 1994 does not make me too young. I had an older brother, politically active parents, grandparents who were Sappe and Natte. I also grew up loving history. This person thinks that we were indoctrinated since 1994. As if we lost our collective memory about the time before that, and as if we were not indoctrinated before 1994.

Popular posts from this blog

So gebore en so gedoop (hersiene weergawe)

Ek is nie ‘n klein monstertjie nie. Dis mos wat Lady Gaga se aanhangers genoem word, want sy heet mos glo Mamma Monster. Ja, ek het al ‘n keer of wat op ‘n tafel gedans terwyl Poker Face oor die luidsprekers gons. Ek het egter nog nooit haar albums gekoop nie en was nie juis van plan om haar optrede te gaan kyk nie. Tot onlangs, toe vriende van my vir my allerhande emails en videos ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iR7Fdxk49cc ) begin aanstuur het wat haar lirieke, musiek videos en uitrustings ontleed as tipies van iemand wat haar siel aan die duiwel verkoop het. Die titel antichris is mildelik aan haar toegeskryf, asook die bruid van Satan. Nodeloos om te noem het dit my nuuskurigheid oor haar aangewakker. Ek is immers ‘n teoloog en die geleentheid om die duiwel se vrou van naderby te bestudeer is ‘n kans wat nie elke student van die spirituele te beurt val nie.  Toe ek dus die uitnodiging kry om na haar optrede by Soweto se Soccer City te gaan kyk, het ek dit aangegryp, ter will

By die doopvont is ons nóg gay, nóg straight.

Ons het al ’n ver pad gestap. Die mense van die kerk meen ek. Met die kerk bedoel ek my kerk. Die Nederduitse Gereformeerde Kerk van Suid-Afrika. In 1843 het die gemeente van Tulbach geskeur weens mense se onversoenbaarheid rakende die sakramente. Die legende lui dat ’n baba van ’n jong ongetroude meisie gedoop is en dit het sekere gemeenteleiers rooi laat sien.  Daar is baie sulke hartseer verhale. Nie almal het op kerkskeuring uitgeloop nie, maar baie het krake en skeure in harte van goeie gelowige mense veroorsaak. Die jare 70’s en 80’s toe ek ’n kind was het sy pond vleis van my generasie geeis. Die land was ook ietwat anders vir Afrikaanse kerkmense in daardie tyd. Dalk in sekere opsigte meer eenvoudig. Jou opsies was minder, wat dan ook bygedra het tot die moontlikheid van verwerping indien jy meer links van die linker regop paal die lewe benader het. Twee vriendinne van my het albei in die jare 80’s en vroeg 90’s uit die kas gekom. Die pyn van verwerping en die soeke